Friday, August 25, 2006

Homesick

Sometimes I find myself searching for signs of Smithers online. Images, stories, formerly familiar faces. I see a denuded Hudson's Bay Mountain. Global warming in action. I watch the wonderful Alice, I Think (based on Susan Juby's fantastic books) and I glory in the glimpses of my town in the inter-scene splices. How did they find an actress who looks so much like Susan? But it's filmed in Langley, not Smithers, which is evident enough.

Sometimes I wonder if my daughter would do well growing up in a small town like I did. Smithers vs. Ottawa? It would be different now. A small example would be the availability of online radio (I'm a new fan of BBC 3), so not limited to BVLD, hosted as it then was by fellow high school students and their rebellious picks. I'm told that it is not so special anymore, just an ordinary small town with Tim Hortons and such. Still, my 20th (!) high school reunion is in a few years, so I should really make it out if they have one.